Municipal Volunteer Program
Municipal Volunteer Program
Welcome to the Township of Maple Shade. The Township Council encourages citizens to get involved and participate in the development and enhancement of the town and the community in which they live and work. Participation as a volunteer will not only enhance your knowledge about the town, but also enrich your life and greatly benefit our community.
If you have questions or would like to apply, please email us at email@example.com or give us a call at (856) 779-9610.
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Maple Shade Planning Board
The Planning Board consists of volunteer residents appointed by the Mayor & Council who are responsible for preparing the Township’s Master Plan in compliance with provisions of the New Jersey Municipal Land Use Law (MLUL) and who are responsible for reviewing zoning ordinances referred to them by the Mayor & Council.
The Planning Board reviews and acts on the following:
- Applications for subdivision approval
- Applications for site plan approval
- Applications for use permits
- Revisions to the Borough Zoning Ordinance
- Variance Applications
The Board is assisted by a professional staff consisting of an attorney, a professional planner, a Township Engineer, an administrative officer, Recording Secretary, and a Board secretary/Land Use Administrator.
Maple Shade Zoning Board
The Zoning Board of Adjustment’s powers are very specific and different from that of the Planning Board. The Zoning Board of Adjustment is often called a “quasi-judicial” body and its principal duties are to hear and decide on requests for interpretations of the Township’s zoning and land development ordinances. However, like the Planning Board, the Zoning Board of Adjustment functions under the authority of the Municipal Land Use Law of New Jersey, N.J.S.A. 40:55D
Sustainable Maple Shade
Sustainability is the capacity to endure. By working together at the local level, we can help the world achieve sustainability. This is important not just for us, but for the generations to follow. Here in Maple Shade, we hope you will join us to work in the social, environmental, and economic aspects of our lives for a sustainable future.
For more information, visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/sustainablemapleshade.
Maple Shade Advisory Board of Commerce
The Advisory Board of Commerce consists of 26 members who each serve a term of 1 year. Members consist of the Township Manager, Township Council, Township Police, persons residing in the township or those who have business or commercial establishments in the Township. Members are selected in recognition of their past service to the Community and based on their desire and willingness to serve on the Board.
The Advisory Board of Commerce encourages expansion and strengthening of existing business and commercial enterprises in the best interest of the Township of Maple Shade. Other duties and responsibilities are:
- Prepare, develop and distribute any and all types of material and data which advertises the advantages of the Township of Maple Shade to new business and commercial enterprises.
- Investigate conditions inimical to the welfare of business in Maple Shade.
- Encourage remodeling, face-lifting and general cleanup and brightening of business establishments.
- Arrange fund-raising for Christmas street lighting and other community activities to stimulate business.
- Recommend to the Township Council any plans, methods or suggestions for municipal assistance in solving the problems of and improving the business community.
- Make semiannual reports to the Township Council, setting forth therein and detailing the activities and operations of the Board during the preceding six months.